Having already detailed 10 pubs each from Dover and Folkestone that have left our shores, now it’s Ramsgate’s turn to reminisce about some of our favorite spirits of the past.
Like the previous two selections, the large number of lost, but not necessarily forgotten, pubs meant that narrowing it down to 10 proved tricky.
Many of them have a long history, from opening to closing, which makes it even harder to accept the news that classic buildings would have new life.
Read more: 10 historic Dover pubs gone but not forgotten
An extraordinary number of Ramsgate pubs have been turned into residential use, as will become apparent with this particular listing.
If your favorite pub that you can’t visit anymore isn’t included, let us know in the comments!
Once found on 134 Grange Road was the Admiral Fox pub.
Although the building was granted Grade II listed status in February 1988, it closed around 2004 and then remained closed for over a decade and a half.
The building was presented to Thanet District Council planners in 2008, where plans for three flats and a two-storey house were proposed.
Permission for this was granted in May of that year, but work never started and the permission expired as a result.
New proposals will have to be resubmitted to the council before work begins.
The George and the Dragon
It would have been hard to walk past the George and Dragon without noticing it due to its huge logo on the side of the premises.
After closing in the mid-2000s, the site is now considered residential property.
There is now an empty, sad white space where the logo and offers were once positioned.
It was part of a former hotel – The Granville Hotel – which enjoyed nearly a century of success between 1869 and 1946 before being sold by owners Spires & Pond.
However, the bar, located on the waterfront and adjoining the banquet hall, did not close until 1991.
On Victoria Parade, the Granville cinema which still remains opposite, bears the name of the building.
The hotel has been transformed into 48 independent apartments but has remained listed since October 1973.
One of the most recent closures was the Sportsman Inn, located at 123 Sandwich Road.
It was a historic pub believed to date back to 1750, leaving behind almost three centuries of history.
Originally used as a stagecoach stop for coaches traveling between Ramsgate and Sandwich, the pub is also believed to have been used by smugglers who used the cellar to bring in contraband from France.
Following closure in 2017, plans were approved for the redevelopment of the site as part of a major redevelopment of the coastal district of Sandwich Road.
Construction began in June last year and the collection of seven houses, a micropub and a cycle cafe is expected to be completed in mid-2022.
The Duke of York
You have to be of a certain vintage to have been able to discover the Duke of York on Addington Street.
After closing in the early 1980s, like many of these defunct pubs, the property is now in private residential use, although it was officially Grade II listed in 1988.
The Trafalgar Hotel boozer was at 48 Royal Road.
It is believed to have closed around 1972 and has been a private residence ever since.
However, the bold blue lettering on a white background on the side of the building has held up after all these years.
The Paragon Inn
Another former Addington Street drinking establishment was the Paragon Inn, which is also another to have been converted into residential property.
Dating back to the mid to late 19th century, the building is believed to have been built around 1868 while it obtained a liquor license in 1871.
Considered to be at its peak in the 1950s, it sadly closed in the late 70s after changing its name in 1961 to Van Gogh.
Located on the High Street, the Albert was a dwelling converted into a brewery in 1847 and named after the German wife of Queen Victoria.
It was once the first port of call for coach passengers alighting at Cannon Road Coach Park.
The pub closed in September 2018 and was reportedly stripped of everything, including the bar itself.
King of Denmark
The King Of Denmark was located at 8 Boundary Road.
As stated by Dover Kent Archives, the sign used to show a fierce Viking warrior from Denmark, although the name actually honors King Christian IX of that country, father of Princess Alexandra who came to England in 1863 to marry the prince of Wales.
Later it was one of only two linked houses belonging to Edgar Austen’s Regent Brewery in the city.
It closed in 2005 and is now the Chinese restaurant Ba Fu Restaurant
Having started life as a small bar in the basement of the building, and called Amber Bar, this boozer was found at 1 Penshurst Road.
The name changed shortly after Prince Harry was born in 1984, with the pub being named in his honour.
According to Dover Kent records, Peter Osborne and Ron White bought the establishment in 1987 while John Stewart ran it from 1987 to 1990 and Peter Osborne ran it for 16 years until 2006 when he left for Spain.
It closed in the early 2010s.
To keep up to date with all the latest news across Kent, be sure to sign up for the KentLive newsletter.